PCAT Literacy Ministries, Inc.
A 501c3, non-profit after-school agency since 2003 serving low income primary grade (K-2) students that are at-risk of school failure with reading and reading comprehension. Our mission is to instill literacy as a value with an emphasis on breaking the inter-generational cycle of non-readers.
The children are recommended into the program by their teachers, as they are reading below a desired level. If their students do not get additional reading assistance, they might not be promoted to the next grade. 95% of our students are promoted to the next grade!
So our students can work and learn at their own pace, each receives one-on-one reading instruction from volunteer tutors/mentors. We train our volunteers on the use of our curriculum and on how to teach and interact with their student. Each volunteer tutors the same child to build consistency and trust.
We are always in need of volunteers! All we ask is that our volunteers tutor one hour per week, for at least 10 weeks.
One in six children who are not reading proficiently by third grade will drop our of High School, a problem that is magnified by poverty (Anne E. Casey Foundation)
- Each student is assessed and receives an individual lesson plan lan
- Each student receives one-on-one reading instruction. 95% of students are promoted to the next grade.
- Services are offered at no-cost to parents
- Volunteer tutors are neeed for one hour per week & work with same student each time.
- Hours to volunteer: from 3:00-4:00 and 4:00-5:00 Mondays-Thursdays
- The Chamber
- Business Directory
- News & Events
- Member Center
- SouthShore Chamber Committees